How to Choose Bathroom Tiles
Selecting tiles for your bathroom can be a major decision. Before you buy any tile, it is important to be sure that you have made the right selection. In the following segment, you will learn how to choose bathroom tiles from selecting the type of tiles to choosing the right colour and size.
Types of Tile
Bathrooms are suited to all types of tiles whether ceramic, stone, porcelain, wooden or glass. At the end of the day, individual preference is the most important consideration. Here are some tips to help you narrow down your choices and choose the right tile for your bathroom.
- Ceramic tiles are perfect for damp environments. They are easy to install and clean, and can be redecorated any time you want to change your bathroom decor. They are a popular choice for most people since they are durable and can withstand a high amount of traffic.
- Porcelain tiles are a good choice for bathroom floors since they are dense and nonabsorbent. They are also durable enough to last the test of time, especially if the bathroom will be under water for extended periods.
- Wood is an unexpected choice for a bathroom, but it is one tile that stands up to the damp environment of the bathroom. There are ceramic and porcelain wood looking tiles that are made to withstand the conditions of the bathroom.
- Stone tiles such as slate, travertine and marble offer a natural and neutral look that lends aesthetics to your bathroom. Pebbles, for instance, add a touch of uniqueness and texture to your bathroom. Porcelain and ceramic tiles that mimic natural stone have been produced.
- Glass tiles are popular for bathroom walls. They feature a shiny surface that gives the bathroom a smooth finish.
Pros and Cons of Each Type of Tile
- Ceramic, porcelain and stone tiles are perfect for floors while glass tile is only suitable for the wall. On the other hand, porous surfaces like stone may require regular sealing for durability.
- Glass tiles are the most expensive of the four types of tiles. Ceramic and porcelain are the less expensive options for the bathroom.
- Natural stone will generally provide traction when the ground is wet and the surface is not polished. It also offers a variety of options such as sandblasting.
- When it comes to cleaning, glazed surfaces are easy to clean and stand up to harsh cleaning products. Non glazed surfaces may require regular cleaning as they are more prone to dirt accumulation.
Selecting Tile Size
Tile size is a critical consideration when choosing tiles for any bathroom. It is advisable to avoid installing large tiles in small bathrooms as they may completely under size the room. Small tiles can complement a small bathroom but at the same time, the numerous grout lines can create an unpleasant effect. At the moment, many people prefer to install large tiles for big bathrooms.
Selecting Tile Colour
Bathroom allow you a lot of room to show off your personality with colours and patterns. The idea of adopting a really cool colour on the floor and keeping the rest of the bathroom neutral is usually a good idea.
As a general rule, it is imperative to select one colour first then base your other decisions from the choice. For instance, if the first choice is a colourful one, use more subtle colours to blend in with it. In the case that the first choice is a plain one, you can add an interesting element with a bold accent.
Lighter colours are used to give the illusion of a bigger space. Dark colours provide a feeling of warmth. Neutral colours offer you the freedom to experiment whenever you want to remodel your bathroom. Basically, black and white colours are safe from being dated at some point, unlike the trendy colours.
One of the primary factors to keep in mind when selecting any tile is safety. From a practical point of view, textured tiles are less slippery than their smooth polished counterparts. Weighing out the advantage of slip resistance to the final look is one thing you will have to consider before purchasing shiny porcelains or stone marbles.
How to Choose Bathroom Tiles – Quick Summary:
The variety of options can make the choice of a suitable tile overwhelming. Keep in mind the above tips to ease your search for the right tile. However, personal consideration is still the determining factor at the end of the day. We hope you now fully understand how to choose bathroom tiles.
Please feel free to comment on this how to choose bathroom tiles guide.